Sonifex CM-CU1 - Commentator Unit 1 Commentator & Line Input
The CM-CU1 offers the same high quality, robust specification as the CM-CU21, with a feature set tailored to single commentator applications.
It provides a fully featured commentator position and a line-level input. The unit has an individual commentator output, with an additional output providing a mix of commentator and line input audio. A limit indicator on the main panel shows when the adjustable limiter on the main output is active, and a bright 21 segment LED PPM meter, which can be disabled, shows the main output level.
The line input can be configured to remain present at the mix output even if the commentator is off air, making it useful for routing crowd effects or pre-recorded material to the programme feed. Its presence in the commentator’s headphones is also configurable to suit the application.
Four talkback output channels, with a built in limiter, are available to the commentator and they can be linked to provide simultaneous operation. Activation of one or more talkback channels removes the commentator audio from the main output until all talkback channels are deactivated.
A wide input gain range and switchable phantom power allows support of a variety of microphone types including low output ribbon mics, headsets and high output phantom powered microphones. There are 5 transformer balanced return audio inputs which, along with the commentator input, are routed to the headphone monitor controls. With these headphone controls, any monitor input can be adjusted and sent to either the left, right or both ears.
A GPIO port gives an open-collector driven output indication of any active On-Air or talkback channel and four remote inputs provide an external call/alert to each of the talkback controls.
The unit has a built in line-up tone generator for easy channel identification and cabling checks. When enabled the test-tone is routed to the required output simply by pressing the corresponding on air or talkback button. An automatic tone mode repeatedly sends different quantities of tone bursts to each output to make it effortless for a single technician to set up.
An On-Air lock switch prevents the On-Air button from being accidentally deactivated and a T/B Gang switch links the operation of talkbacks A, B, C & D.
A flexible range of options allow the Commentator Unit to be customised to better suit the operational and user’s personal requirements. These include options for momentary or latching operation of the talkback buttons, permanently enabling or disabling the commentator input, default headphone signal routing and main panel indicator illumination levels.
The CM-CU1 Commentator Unit can be powered from a universal mains input between 85-264V AC at 47-63Hz, or from a 12-24V DC input.
Features of the CM-CU1 Commentator Unit
- Commentator position with individual output; plus main mix output.
- Line input with configurable output and headphone presence.
- Talkback outputs selectable by the commentator, with built in limiter and adjustable gain.
- 5 Return audio circuits that are routed to headphones along with the commentator input. Any source can be individually level controlled and sent to left, right or both ears.
- A wide input gain range and switchable phantom power allows support of a variety of microphone types including low output ribbon, headsets and high output phantom powered microphones.
- User preset adjustable limiter on main output with limit activity indication.
- Built in line-up tone for initial cabling checks.
- 21 Segment LED PPM meter showing main output level.
- Transformer balanced inputs and outputs.
- Fitted formica ‘Sharpie’ designation strips.
- Robust mechanical design with protection for potentiometer knobs.
- Universal AC mains, or 12-24 volt DC power.